Drag and Drop
The drag and drop pattern allows users to rearrange or reorder items in a group by moving them from one place to another. This pattern can be used in a variety of areas, with some common examples including: tables, list views, card views, and dashboards.
List View Example
Card View Example
Drag and Drop
- Handle Icon:
- When a user hovers over a row or selects a row, the handle icon should appear.
- The icon placement is to the far left of the row. If checkboxes are being used for multi-select, the handle icon should be to the left of the checkboxes.
- Cursor Change:
- When a user hovers over the handle icon, the cursor should change to an open hand, signifying the item can be dragged.
- (Optional) If you choose to display the handle icon on unselected rows as well, the icon should appear visually disabled so it does not distract from the content.
- Item Sequence (Optional):
- If the order of items is important, the order number should be clearly labeled.
- When an item is being moved, the order numbers should not change to reflect the move until the item has been successfully dropped in a new location.
- When a PatternFly Toolbar (some combination of filter, sort, find, views and action buttons) is being used, it should not include sorting.
- Users will sort manually with the drag and drop functionality.
- Handle Icon:
- The handle icon should not be used when applying drag and drop to horizontal lists, card views, or dashboards.
- When a user hovers over an item or selects an item (anywhere that is not already a link, checkbox, button, etc), it should be visually indicated and the cursor should change to an open hand, signifying this item can be moved.
- Multi-Selection (Optional):
- If multi-selection is being supported, checkboxes should be used for moving multiple items at once.
- Dragging multiple checked items will move the items as a group and will place them consecutively when dropped in the list.
Drag and Drop Interactions
- Hover: When a user hovers over the draggable area of an item, the cursor changes to an open hand.
- Click: When a user clicks and holds to drag an item, the cursor changes to a closed fist and the item selection is visually indicated.
- For vertical lists, users must click on the handle region in order to select a row to drag.
- For horizontal lists, the handle icon is not needed and users can click anywhere to select the item to drag.
- For mobile devices and tablets, the entire item should always be selectable regardless of view type.
- Multiple rows can be selected in order by holding the shift key and selecting.
- Multiple rows can be selected out of order by holding the ctrl key and selecting.
- For MacOS, multiple rows can be selected out of order by holding the command key instead.
- Drag initiated: The item being dragged should “pop up” and be shown in focus with a larger slot left behind. The slot should be visually indicated.
- If more than one item is being moved at once, a tool tip should indicate the number of items being moved.
- Hover over accepted target: The closed fist cursor should move with the item as it is dragged and the empty grey slot should move to indicate where the item will be placed when dropped.
- Hover over denied target: An icon should appear next to the cursor to signify an invalid drop target and the empty grey slot should remain at the original location where the item was selected.
- Drop over accepted target: The item should occupy the slot and if part of a sequence, the order numbers should change to reflect the new order of items.
- If dragging multiple items, the items will be placed consecutively where the slot was indicated.
- Drop over denied target: The item should be returned to its original location.
- Select items to Drag: Use the tab key to go through items in the list. Use the spacebar to select an item to move. Use shift/tab to reverse directions through the list.
- Select multiple items to Drag: Hold shift to select multiple items in a sequence. Hold ctrl to select multiple items out of order.
- Drop Item(s): Use the up and down arrow keys to choose a destination. Press Enter to drop items in place.